Meta tags are small packets of data about the web pages rendered for the web crawlers. These tags are written in HTML and specify the source code to offer content and site information to search engine spiders. The Meta elements are normally used to state page description, keywords, author of the document, previous customized and other metadata. These tags help you manage the way some search engines may index your site, with the use of keywords and descriptions you offer. So, spiders rely heavily on the information provided by the site owner in the Meta Tags.
Typically, these snippets of informational code presented between yourtags that are not counted in your generated HTML document. Two popular styles known for Meta tags are:
- META HTTP-EQUIV=”name” CONTENT=”content”
- META NAME=”name” CONTENT=”content”
The Types of Meta Tags
Generally, four major Meta tags are used:
- Resource Type:
- The resource type currently in use is “document”. This tag is used only for indexing purposes, but use of the others is a good idea.
- Description tag is shown along with the title of your page in an index, according to search engine. Description can be given in a word, sentence or paragraph. However, it is best to keep it short and precise.
- Select appropriate keywords and separate them commas. Also, include synonyms, Americanisms and so on.
- Make sure that your content contains either global, local or iu. Preferably, stick to global.
In addition to these, a whole set of optional tags are also available.
- There is no need to index every file that you have on your website.
- The description tag is not supposed to just repeat the title of the page, it indeed, must describe what the page has.
- Use your Title tag also in the creation of dynamic documents.