Webmail (Web based E-mail Services)
The term ‘Webmail’ describes two things in general, one is a webmail client and other is an e-mail service. Webmail client is an email client that acts as a web application and accessed via a web browser. Another term is known as an email service, offered through a web site like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail etc.
Most of the web hosting services providers offer email access by a webmail client or desktop email client using standard email protocols. Web based e-mail services are available round the clock with the help of a web browser. This is the biggest advantage it earns over the desktop mail client. Almost every standard web mail offer a wide range of features including message attachments, multiple recipients, graphics and colors etc.
Advantages of Webmail services:
Illustrated below are the major benefits of web based e-mail services offered.
- Allows round-the-clock mail access using browser using internet.
- No additional software needed to access e-mails.
- Countless customization options to make mail program trendy and convenient.
- No need to own your own resource viz. computer and live internet connection.
- Provider based unlimited storage space
Drawbacks of a Webmail service:
Beyond all the advantages quoted above, a webmail has certain shortcomings as well.
- Users can’t change the interface already provided by the provider.
- Users can’t access mails without an active internet connection.
- Speed of the mail download entirely depends upon the speed of internet.
- No potential way to recover a removed or deleted e-mail.
Some of the well-known Web mail services are: